Champions for
the Underdogs.

When Life Changes: Post-Divorce Modifications

Divorce orders are living documents, often requiring changes as life changes. Did you lose your job? Does your child want to spend more time with the other parent? Did your ex-spouse remarry? Many things can require a post-divorce modification to your court order. As long as there has been a substantial change in circumstances, it may be possible to ask the court to make the legal change.
While there are easy situations where both parents agree to the change, many others can lead to disputes. When emotions run high, it can feel like going through the divorce all over again.
Our lawyers can get you through this process and make sure the court hears your story and understands your concerns. At Nicholson Goetz & Otis, S.C., we have an outstanding reputation for protecting our clients’ interests in and out of court. Our knowledge, experience and passion have allowed us to achieve exceptional results for divorce and family law clients in Madison and throughout Wisconsin.

When Can You Get A Post-Divorce Modification?

Under Wisconsin law, you typically must wait two years to modify your divorce decree unless there has been domestic abuse. Then, you must be able to show that there was a substantial change in circumstance. If children are involved, the requested change must be in their best interests.
  • Getting a post-divorce modification can be challenging, but circumstances often make it necessary. Our divorce attorneys can help you fill out the right documents and argue your case before the court. To discuss whether and how you can modify your divorce decree or contest a modification, please call 608-471-5003 or send us an email. We offer free 30-minute initial consultations at our law office in Madison or off site by appointment.